Friday, January 15, 2016

Past, Present and Future

I posted my blog entry yesterday in order for this one to make more sense. I find myself believing more and more that I am approaching the end of my life on this spinning orb, and I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand I have accomplished much to be proud of. My beautiful wife Carole, and I have three magnificent daughters who have gone on to raise their own daughters, all of whom are a continuing source of pride for us. Without exception, each has married a man I would (and do) call son. Thanks to SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) and the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting, I have a multitude of true friends, scattered across this great land, most of whom I have never met except through the wonders of the Internet.

In my professional life, as Chief Theft Investigator and Safety Director for a large public utility, I was able to vastly reduce accidents, winning state and national awards in the process.  We went first one year with "No Lost Time Accidents", then another until I retired when we had built up nine years with no lost time sccidents in our Natural Gas Department. On the Security side, I reduced the theft of power, natural gas and water to a trickle and reduced "our fault" vehicle accidents by two-thirds.

The failures are mostly on the personal side and some now seem petty and unimportant. I never got to talk my wife to Italy as I had promised, never toured the country in an Airstream trailer. We had to give up the only home I ever really loved due to my wife's health and dwindling income. And we are living the last few years of our lives from check to check

No comments: